Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ma and Pa Kettle (corn)

Kettle corn, that slightly pricey popcorn snack that you see at state fairs and carnivals, is easy to make at home. You'd be surprised how easy.

Here's all you need;

Popcorn
Oil
Sugar (either granulated or powdered)
Salt

I assume you already know how to make popcorn on the stove top, so I won't go into the exact measures (I have never tried this in the microwave, so if you want to try and tell me how it turned out, I'm all ears).

What I like to do is get the oil into the pan and drop three kernels of popcorn into it. Once the three kernels pop, then the oil is hot enough to start. Drop the rest of the corn into the pot and then (quickly) sprinkle the sugar evenly around the pot (you don't want to just dump it in one spot or it'll clump up). For one half cup of unpopped kernels I use about 1 & 1/2 Tbsp of sugar. Now start shaking the pot over the heat. You're doing this to keep the popcorn from burning on the bottom and to keep the unpopped corn sifted to the bottom of the pot. Once the corn is popped, empty the pot into your serving bowl. Add the salt and there you go, Kettle Corn! The kids love it, and you will once again be the hero of the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment